Monday, March 27, 2006

Morning thoughts (with red Bull wings).

It's a random Tuesday morning and as I sit here sipping red bull I can't help but smile. Life is still good... Even in Iraq.

I've read 3 books since I arrived here and that's something since I haven't read in almost 4 years. Except I did read one book before I left home, What Good Boys. Since I've been here I've read The Last Witness, What Dreams May Come, and Angela's Ashes. I also read a short story by Steven King, but wasn't impressed.

book reviews

The Last Witness was a good concept although I think it was poorly written. The book contained too much self pity on part of the author and an annying child-like need for approval. I thought it could have really benefitted from having a few more quotes from the letters the author had in correspondance with the serial killers. I do think he did an excellent job of describing what happened when he visited one of them in a Chicago prison though.

What Dreams May come is 10 times better than the movie and I like the author's take on religon regardless of whether it follows my own beliefs or not. He actually acknowledged that people put off vibrations and made a few referrences to the former and I for one was and still am happy to hear someone else finally acknowledge the same thing I've been feeling. This book was amazingly well written a great read and shows tremendous imagination and belief on the part of the author. I hear he's written some darker stuff as well and I'll be sure to check out more of his works.

Angela's Ashes in a memoir. This book is amazing not only because the author was able to write truly from the eyes of a child but the detail with which he is able to recall all the events in his life. This put to life a lot of stories my own grandmother had told me from her youth. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult life must have been back in the 1930's... And the only thing I can really say in the negative is that I was dissappointed at the end left not knowing if his family ever made it to America.

driving lessons
I reviewed how to drive a standard with a friend the other day and then yesterday I drove one all by myself. I'll admit I did have to ask someone how to get it to start. Clutch in and throw that baby in neutral first thing. We have these Ford Ranger 4x4 extended cabs that run on diesel. And I've never heard of a regular truck running on diesel before. They're so nice, I want to bring one home with me.

a bit of culture
There's an Indian guy who works at one of our posts. His name is Harry. I guess he chose that name because no one can say his real name. Harry is a really nice guy and he even let me borrow an Indian music video he has. He's going to teach me how to play Rummy. :)

I bought a burnt CD of some Turkish pop music from the Turkish gift shop, which really doesn't sell anything Turkish, but rather electronical devices at ridiculous prices. I just happened to walk in and ask if they had any Turkish music or else I'd never know you could buy any there.

Mohammad who works at the Iraqi Market gave me a video with some live traditional Muslim music and I really like it. I just wish I could put the music on a CD somehow...

Tonight I'm heading over to the Army side with Riley to salsa dance with the Army and Italians. The Italians wear ridiculously skimpy and tight clothing and I think I'm still scarred from seeing one man's entire package bulging from his bike shorts. The Italians are always in our gym working out and I'm beginning to think their culture is either a really healthy one or maybe just obsessed with their looks.

I haven't gotten the opportunity to speak with any of the Japanese yet or Romanians, English, or Australians. But I'm hoping to before I leave.

I finally signed up to tour the Ziggurat and that's what I'll be doing on Thursday, which is also my day off. I still can't believe I'm living in Ur or as we Americans call it Mesopotamia. Regardless of whether you believe in God or not you have to admire the fact that so many religions believe this place is holy. In America we have the "Bible belt" and here in Iraq they have (this place) "the cradle of Civilization".

I cant wait to hear some more history about the Ziggurat and to actually understand the reason the it was built. I know it's a temple and I have to assume it's a Muslim Temple, but there has to be more right? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home